Dear esteemed sirs and madams,
It comes with great displeasure on a Saturday night with the television firmly off, free of Pop Idols/X Factor/Big Brother, that I write this in an uncomfortable, disillusioned and distressed manner. Although if truth be told, I must insist on addressing quite a number of points, which may verge on being borderline rants. But rant I must. Why you may well ask? Because for quite some time now, in fact, for quite a considerable period of time, I have been peering into my very self and the people that make up the fabric of our society and have been quite frankly, displeased and unimpressed with what we, as a collective body have had to settle for and what we self-inflict upon one selves in the last nine or so years, or rather this particular decade.
There's no two ways about it - The "noughties" will be looked back upon as being the decade as perhaps being the beginning of the end in the fabrication of society that (is barely) binding us together. Simply put, the rise of the idiots, the age of the stupid is favorable by many as a badge of honour. In an age where there have been major, pioneering advances and breakthroughs in the fields of technology and science, it has been significantly and indelibly marked with many negatives. Whether it's the drinking/booze culture, the pre-packaged conveyor belt of talentless fame-hungry, self-obsessed Z listers of reality television or the publics distrust in the authorities/bigwigs/those at the top of the tree. Oh yeah, and the worst global recession we've had in decades.
The last thing I set out to do writing this is to cry Hail Marys or preach my beliefs and stances. Nor is this a self-serving or never ending pursuit for being what's perceived as being ''perfect'' as a person. But rather, it's a sound piece of advice on how we, as a global village can strive and make better use of our (mostly) ungrateful selves and waste away the general feeling of apathy. The worst thing we can do in life is do nothing and just expect someone else to pick up the pieces for us. Otherwise, the outcome can potentially bring out serious consequences - I point you toward the direction of the British National Party and Nazism as a prime example. History has shown that a society's aloofness can give way to a rise of idealisms, which in turn prey upon those susceptible to opinion. Hitler's rise to power and tirade of hate mongering came as a result of indifference in the German public shortly after World War One when Germany was in dire straits. Those types take full advantage of adversity and put a spin on blaming certain pockets/minorities for the mire they're stuck in. With Nazism, it was inherently and predominantly the Jews who were persecuted throughout Hitler's reign. But more to my point, as we've seen with Nick Griffin's appearance on Question Time fanning the flames of his brand of hate amongst the masses, if we don't do away with indifference and carelessness that's so prevalent in our world, then a heavy penalty will ensue. The biggest tragedy of all, would be that we saw it coming right before our very eyes.
And as for the obsession with the concept of celebrity, one would hope that it's a bubble that should have been burst a long, long time ago. A word to Lady Gaga - is your music that vile that you must insist parading around (not) wearing precious little for the cameras? Some of us are trying to keep warm here. In all seriousness, yes - sex sells. It's a part and parcel, supply-and-demand et al. But the question I pose is this - how much is too much? We have seen for ourselves the rise and eventual fall of Big Brother. A show demonstrating how a singular being can live with others under constant surveillance with nowhere to run and no damn place to hide either. The notion of that premise was well and truly shattered as it shortly became a golden ticket to guaranteed super-stardom. With the exception of the late Jade Goody, can you name with the fingers of one hand how many have had a long-lasting and sustainable career post-BB? Thought not. Since Channel 4's foray into George Orwell's aptly named programme, it's opened the floodgates and given any simpleton their five minutes of fame. I don't even want to get started on gossip mags ala Heat or Take a Break. One thing I am sure of regarding this matter - that bubble can't burst soon enough.
Now I'm sure that I'm not the first (or most certainly the last) person to write diatribes over the years of 00-09. Neither do I wish to go through all my troubles with Planet Earth at large. The premise of this letter to you all is to make you all realize that things don't have to be like this. They don't have to be dead-end, no hope in hell, monotonous drivel. There is another way. People, it may come as a bolt of lightning jolting through you all but - There are alternatives. There are other paths. There are choices to be made in life and more than you might think. Each and every one of us is very much capable of bettering ourselves. I do believe that it was Leo Tolstoy who once said ''Everybody thinks of changing humanity and nobody thinks of changing himself.'' Never has that quote resonated with such zeal, relevance and resonance as at this particular environment in 2009. Start with yourselves. Seek and take in knowledge. Form your own opinions, think for yourselves and take a stance for causes you truly believe in.
BECOME A PERSON. BECOME YOUR OWN WORLD. If you build it, they will come.
In conclusion, I hope you've gained something from the above. Granted, it's much to take in and you may not necessarily agree with anything said whatsoever. However, take heed of one thing - Personally, I have spent many hours re-drafting and proofing my rant because I felt it was vital a message came across to everyone. I felt that an impartial, balanced rational voice needed to be heard by those who choose to read this. All of the above is subjective and an opinionated matter - a thing so precious few people seem to display so eloquently. Having a mouth to speak with and a pair of hands to type is a privilege, not a right. I challenge you to take that first step on an arduous and long journey to self-fulfillment. Even Barack Obama/Bob the Builder gives his two cents:
YES WE CAN. If that doesn't encourage you, nothing will.
Throwing down the gauntlet,
Yousif Nur (Aged 25 going on 52)
Saturday, 24 October 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment