Wednesday, 2 January 2008

a new year, a new way?

First and foremost, Happy 2008 peeps.

I'm trying to make some alterations to my life at the moment which are proving to be quite difficult to shake off. It would be an easy task, if only there weren't one too many things that needed changing. Of course, I can only be talking about one thing - New Year's Resolutions.

Such Resolutions are cursed, because within days, weeks, months, seconds even, they become null and void and we're all at square one. I of all people, can't keep to anything for more than a matter of days..

But anything's worth a try right? So here goes:

1. Join a gym
2. Get a new job
3. Be a bit more social
4. Save more money
5. Go abroad more frequently
6. Make Kicker Conspiracy a success
7. Wake up and go to bed earlier
8. Improve attention span and prioritize the things that matter more to the top of the list.

So much for the last point huh.

Over the past week, I've been thinking very carefully over what I really want - and I've come to the conclusion that it is money. Lots of it. Is there much to be made in the music industry anymore? Unless you're prepared to be branded a careerist of some sort then possibly, other than that, no. In my train of thought, I think the music biz is a place inhabited by those unwilling to accept that they're not in their teens anymore and thusly, spend their time in the realm of what they did when they were 16, trapped in their own little hub of sound. The price to pay is steep, as there's very little from what can be learned from the industry that can be applied to the real world in general. As for music journalism, don't even get me started. For those that aspire to a career in music, it's about as glamorous and appealing as living in a bedsit on Old Kent Road. Which many musicians do as it happens.

I'm 24 in a few weeks and can I honestly see myself in the music game for long? Categorically, with my hand on my heart, no. I've been trodden over professionally, personally and there's nothing exciting me a great deal to keep me jumping up and down as I once did when introduced to the likes of Bloc Party, The Rakes, Strokes et al. It's time to know when to admit defeat, cut your losses and leave the table. I don't know exactly when that will happen, but all I'll say is that I have my cards kept tightly to my chest.

Roll on Saturday - which I'm sure you all know about by now: www.myspace.com/clubkickerconspiracy

Arrivederci!

No comments: